Hospitalization Number Four

Jerard was readmitted into the hospital again this afternoon. The first shunt is infected and needs to be replaced. Two neurosurgeons and other doctors are in agreement with this course of action. We hope to find out later today when the surgery will be -- either tomorrow or Friday. This will be Jerard's fourth hospitalization and fourth surgery.

Correction: The surgery was originally going to consist of removing the infected shunt and replacing it with a new one on the other side of his head all in one operation. But both neurosurgeons decided that the better course of action would be to remove the infected shunt in the first operation. They will decide at that time whether to install an external drain from his head to a bag or just to drain a lot of fluid at that time or to just leave it. Then after the infection is cleared up (hopefully in 4 or 5 days) another operation would be required to add the new shut on the other side of the head. So, it looks like Jerard will get two more operations during this hospital stay if things go well.

Beth is with Jerard at the hospital this afternoon and she will spend the night there tonight. I will be at home with the other children.

As always, your prayers are much appreciated.