Another Jerard Update

Jerard's appetite is not as strong as the doctors would like to see it and his electrolites are low. They started him on a different IV and we are working at getting him to drink milk. There was blood detected in his stool so they are going to perform XRays today to see if there might be something else wrong, though one of the side-effects of his anti-biotics is blood in the stool, so it is probably just that.

Jerard is not as fussy today which is good and his bowels do not see as distended. He is still on strong anti-biotics and anti-fungal medications.

Update

Yesterday Jerard had a CT scan of his head.

In order to do this they had to give him some anesthesia.
After the CT scan we started noticing he was losing his voice and getting fussy again from his abdominal area hurting.
The doctors had thought it was a temporary reaction to the medication and it would clear up by the end of the day.

It hasn't.

He has had a very fussy day with a hoarse and sometimes voiceless cry.
There is nothing more heart-rending than seeing one so little crying with no sound coming out and seeing his face scrunched up in pain and not being able to do anything to help ease his pain.
We just hold him, rock him, and pray for him.

Please keep praying for our little guy

Repeat CT scan

The neurosurgeon was pleased to see that the visual center of the brain is there on Jerard's CT he had today. There is also more brain showing in other areas of his skull than showed up on the CT prior to surgery for the shunt.

Some areas of brain, though, are not developed at all.

There is no sign of abscess in his brain which is why the CT was done today.

Meningitis

Well.....it's been quite a day.

Jerard had the best night he ever has had last night. He's also just had the best day he ever has had since we got him.

He's sleeping better, his tummy is soft, his head is decreasing in size, he is not fussy all the time.

The antibiotics are working.

But we found out today that one of the infections is meningitis. Which means he will be in the hospital 2 - 3 weeks on strong IV antibiotics.

Another complication of this infection is that since the shunt is in, there is a strong chance the infection could be attaching itself to the tubing, thus rendering it necessary, after the infection is cleared up, that our neurosurgeon will need to replace the shunt tubing.

On top of this, Jerard has a fungal infection and is on anti-fungal medication too. His fungal infection, though, should be cleared up in the next 7 days or so.

Pray for Jerard's continued good response to the medications he's taking.

Pray for wisdom as we, along with the doctors, decide what the best course of treatment is due to the added variable of the shunt and tubing.

Pray for financial resources to help cover the cost of Jerard's hospitalization.

Happy Chinese New Year

Ben's kindergarten class celebrated the Chinese New Year yesterday.
Enjoy the pics!!!!!